Powered By Blogger

Friday 26 August 2011

BeWitched, BeSmurfed, Bea-Stowed, Be Damned

BEWITCHED

We went off to Bolam Lake Country Park last weekend.  Oh, what a beauty spot it is. Dave took some great photos (and I didn't do so badly myself!).

That wonderful outing prompted me to dig out an old rhyme I'd written as part of a commissioned article:

Autumn Leaves, Pheasant Eaves
... for The Pheasant Inn, Falstone, Kielder in Northumberland National Park.

 
So I cobbled the poem - changed it into something a little different - and out popped -  
THE SPELL
When I had it published on Wikinut - it was awarded the
*STAR PAGE*.  
Here's the link:

THE SPELL
http://www.wikinut.com/the-spell/25hec_ng/r83q6jyk/ 




BESMURFED
Phil (my grown up son) and I, took ourselves off to see the new SMURFS 3D Movie the other afternoon.  A bit bemused (beSMURFED, I might add) to see a whole host of kids there - hardly an adult in sight except for the ones chaperoning (!!) - we should have known better than to expect the place to be littered with adult idiots like us. "Ooops!" I thought, but OH, the movie was ace.

We laughed all the way through from the very start to the credits at the end.  You need to go see it, even if it's just to see Asrael (Mr Krinkle in real life), the wizard Gargamel's Ginger Tom!  Brilliant.  

  

BEA-STOWED

I was in heaven when I opened my post and got my August Issue (11) of Debut Magazine (Park Publications). Because inside the mag was a cheque for £25 and a note to tell me I'd been place 2nd in the READERS' CHOICE PRIZE WINNERS for my published story in the May Issue (10)
There I was on the editor's page -

2nd Prize SHEILA NEWTON... 
ME, BEA AN' BETSY MAKE THREE.



 BE DAMNED!

Well, I'LL BE DAMNED.  All of my organization - Google diary, keeping up-to-date with my novel and my assignments went RIGHT OUT OF THE WINDOW since I last blogged here.  ALL THAT PLANNING - GONE!
My commission for the Tyne Bar was a priority - with research, visits to the bar, photographs etc. - and then of course, the writing of the piece.
 My invitation to write the CD Jacket blurb for the Boneshakers' new album,  
'SHAKEN AND STIRRED'  
was a mad dash in researching and writing the script.


I needed to complete an 'about writing' article and send off the manuscript to the publishers.

I needed to get my next North East Life Mag article underway.

PHEW!!!!  
 NO TIME FOR MY NOVEL.
NO TIME FOR MY NEXT WRITERS BUREAU ASSIGNMENT.
I need to get ORGANISED again SOON

NO TIME FOR THE CATS. NO TIME FOR GARDENS OR MR BLACKBIRD.
My beautiful Orchid
THE CATS, THE BIRD AND THE GARDEN WEREN'T PUT OUT - THEY JUST GOT MERRILY ON WITH IT!




The Delectable Rosie
The Sensational Mr Jim

Cheeky Mr Blackbird
Pretty Lilies and Hydrangeas   
Now, believe me (if you can) constant readers, next time I blog here, I'll be organised -
BET'CHA' (!!)


3 comments:

  1. Great share. Congratulations on your Award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Sheila - I'll be looking forward to hear how the novel is going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sheffield Axe, for spurring me on re: my novel. I need more than 24 hours in the day! How about you? I'll have to look you up. See what YOU'RE doing in the big wide world of writing!

    ReplyDelete